Western University has been named one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for 2014.
Western employs more than 13,000 people and receives more than 32,000 applications each year. The jobs available range from part-time jobs in food services that suit student employees, to professional positions allowing life-long opportunities for skills development and career growth.
The Canada’s Top 100 Employers competition is the largest editorial project of its kind in Canada, with thousands of employers taking part in each year’s application process. The project’s distinguishing feature is that its editors publish detailed reasons, providing transparency in the selection of winners and practical guidance for job-seekers about exceptional workplaces.
The competition is based on eight criteria – physical workspace, training and skills development, benefits, vacation and time off, work atmosphere and social activities, employee communications, performance management, and community involvement.
Western had a strong entry into the competition including:
• Excellent benefits including educational assistance for staff members to cover tuition costs, tuition scholarships for children of faculty and staff members, a professional expense reimbursement program and a health care spending account for many full time employees, and post-retirement benefits for those who qualify
• A spectacular, park-like campus on the banks of the Thames River
• 29 on-campus eateries and restaurants, retail outlets including an award winning bookstore, a computer store, a grocery store/deli, a pharmacy and movie theatre
• Cultural events including free concerts, speakers and art exhibits
• Campus-wide social events for faculty and staff, including annual family football and hockey games
• Many award and recognition opportunities to celebrate excellence and long service among faculty and staff, and an annual Staff and Leaders’ Conference with outstanding speakers
• A long and strong history of involvement in our local community and around the world, and opportunities for staff and faculty to participate
Western’s President Amit Chakma expressed his thanks to all those who contribute and make Western one of Canada’s top employers. “Our faculty and staff deserve the credit for this honour. One of the most attractive things about working at Western is the opportunity to work with the best, and be a part of teams that provide a high quality global education and conduct research that has impact around the world.”
To learn more visit www.uwo.ca/topemployer
Media contact: Marcia Steyaert, Community Relations Specialist, 519-661-2111 ext . 85467, email@example.com