With approximately 30 million people infected worldwide, HIV/AIDS continues to be the world’s leading infectious killer.
On December 1, 2014, Western University’s Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry will mark World AIDS Day with two special events.
12:15 p.m. – Plans will be unveiled for a new state-of-the-art facility which will put Western University researchers on the cutting-edge in the study of HIV and other complex pathogens.
Dr. Michael J. Strong, Dean, Schulich Medicine & Dentistry and Dr. Eric Arts, Chair, Department of Microbiology and Immunology will explain the key features of this new facility, and researchers will provide a demonstration of the protective gear that must be worn in order to study viruses like HIV.
1:00 p.m. – World AIDS Day Panel Discussion – Leading researchers will come together to share their knowledge and provide insight into the latest breakthroughs in HIV/AIDS research.
Moderated by the Middlesex London Health Unit’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Chris Mackie, the panellists include:
- Dr. Eric Arts, HIV researcher in the areas of transmission, disease progression, immune escape, drug resistance, and global HIV spread
- Dr. Gregor Reid, researcher who uses probiotics in order to address the side-effects of the HIV/AIDS crises in Africa
- Dr. Michael Silverman, Chief of Infectious Diseases at Schulich Medicine & Dentistry and Medical Director of the HIV Clinic at Western University
- Dr. Stephen Barr, Schulich Medicine & Dentistry scientist researching ways to exploit the powerful and natural activities of human proteins that help block HIV replication and allow our immune system to get the upper-hand in clearing HIV infection
- Dr. Jimmy Dikeakos, Schulich Medicine & Dentistry researcher studying how HIV viral proteins interact with the body.
All events to take place in the Medical Sciences Building, Rm. 282, Western University
MEDIA CONTACT: Crystal Mackay, Media Relations Officer, Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry, Western University, t. 519.661.2111 ext. 80387, c. 519.777.1573, email@example.com