Western University’s Be Extraordinary Campaign, the most ambitious campaign in the university’s history, has raised a record-breaking $805,668,372.
This success is thanks to the generosity and collective energies of our alumni and friends, faculty, staff, students, volunteers and corporate partners, who came together to support the decade-long Campaign and help put Western on the global stage.
More than 49,000 gifts to the campaign enabled Western to substantially increase support for students, attract the world’s top talent to help build on nationally and internationally recognized research strengths, increase international opportunities for students and build world-class facilities.
“I have been amazed by the generosity of our donors and I am thrilled with how the campus has come together in support of Western,” said Campaign Chair, Geoff Beattie. “We started this Campaign with a goal of $750 million and through dedication and hard work we’ve managed to accomplish something truly remarkable. This is a proud day for me, and for Western.”
The campaign focused on building strength in four areas:
– Support for students, including increased wellness and mental health services, workshops and programing, enhanced opportunities in classrooms, laboratories and playing fields, and leadership opportunities off campus and around the world;
– Enhanced research capabilities and capacity, through fundamental and applied discovery with real-world applications;
– World-class facilities, where scholars and visitors can work and learn in state-of-the-art buildings, labs, libraries and performance halls.
– International learning, so that students are equipped to lead and innovate in Canada and around the world
“The commitment was remarkable by any measure,” said Western President Amit Chakma.
“We asked our supporters to help us be extraordinary, and they delivered,” said Chakma. “Together we have created a university with a sharpened focus, and continued a legacy of exceptional teaching and research. Together, we have made Western stronger. We are immensely grateful to our donors and friends – this historic accomplishment would not have been possible without them.”
For more information, please visit http://www.giving.westernu.ca/impact/home.html
By the numbers:
• $805,668,372 raised
• 128,310 gifts
• 49,204 donors
• Donors from 107 different countries
• Endowment growth from $307 million to $765 million
• $118 million in new scholarships, awards and bursaries
• $3.7 million raised for international learning experiences
Building research strengths:
• 50 new research chairs established
• $74.5 million given to support research chairs
Building world-class facilities
• 9 new, state-of-the-art buildings
• 52 newly-renovated buildings
• $102 million donated towards infrastructure
MEDIA CONTACT: Jeff Renaud, Senior Media Relations Officer, 519-661-2111, ext. 85165, 519-520-7281, email@example.com, @jeffrenaud99
Western delivers an academic experience second to none. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community.